Friday, February 14, 2014

Amish Egg Noodles




Born and raised in and around Lancaster Pennsylvania, I have many fond memories of the weekly market visit. Once a week the family would pile into the car and head to market. For a small child market was overwhelming, with the smells, sights and people it was a place of neverending amazement.

Pennsylvania markets are typically held in huge buildings, the indoor vendor area vast, filled with stall after stall of local vendors selling everything you can think of. It was and still is an amazing thing to see. If you ever get a chance to visit a true Pennsylvania market you will not be disappointed.

A regularly purchased item for my family was Amish noodles. Coming dried in a variety of shapes and sizes, it was a regular part of our families pantry stock.

So now with the ability to make my own pasta, it was a natural progression to want to reproduce the Amish noodles of my childhood.

I thought I would make three sizes, a large flat noodle for chicken and noodles, a fettucini size for general purpose dishes, and a fine noodle the kind you would see in a chicken noodle soup.

The recipe is simple. Flour, whole eggs and salt. There are many variations it seems, some use just egg yolks, water is a common ingredient, butter, milk are also in some recipes. But I settled on the basic three ingredient recipe since I wanted to dry and store my pasta.

Base Recipe:

1 cup All Purpose Non-Bleached Flour
2 large Whole Eggs
1/2 tsp. Salt

I Scaled this up to:

765g. King Arthur All Purpose Non-Bleached Flour
10 each Large Whole Eggs
13g. Salt

I simply added all to my mixer and mixed on low speed with the dough hook until combined.


This made a very stiff dough


Wrap in plastic wrap and rest dough for 30 minutes





Divide into 8 equal pieces


Wrap each in plastic wrap


Slope the front edge of the pasta piece to enable it to enter the roller easier







Process each piece individually with Pasta Machine Roller into sheets


If cutting by hand as with my large flat pasta, flour well before rolling. You also want to flour well prior to cutting if using the pasta cutter


Folding prior to hand cutting


Ready to hand cut larger flat pieces


Hand cut pasta


Laid out to dry


Allow to air dry completely before storing- I placed a clean sheet on top of my kitchen table to dry my noodles on



No comments:

Post a Comment